Certificate of Global Business Management Matching Grants
The Global Business Center at Salt Lake Community college began their Executive Certificate of Global Business Management in 2006. The course is offered to business executives, professionals, working staff, entrepreneurs, and qualified students. The course work is suitable for individuals new to international trade and assumes no prior experience. It is also of value to business managers already involved in international trade providing them in-depth exposure to international marketing, finance, and trade management.
The certificate consists of five sections and 30 hours of training that involves developing an international business plan, lectures, case studies, computer lab study, and hands-on practical experience. The course is taught by leading professionals emphasizing export readiness, global business management, supply chain management, trade finance, international legal and tax considerations, cultural considerations, finding quality overseas distributors and partners, international cash management, international trade logistics, and export regulations.
(10) matching grants of $500 are available for qualifying businesses to enroll a company representative in the Spring semester course, which will begin in March or April 2017. The course will originate from the Governor’s Office of Economic Development at the World Trade Center Utah where it will be broadcast via the Utah Education Network (UEN) to locations statewide that include rural Utah. Three-hour classes are held once a week for (10) weeks. The course fee is $995 and matching grant recipients are responsible for the balance of $495. Matching grants will be awarded to applicants demonstrating the greatest need and/or greatest potential for export success. Special consideration will be given to applicants located in rural Utah and outside the Wasatch Front urban corridor.
During the ten-week course, matching grant recipients will prepare a strategic export plan and implementation strategy for their small business. At the end of the course, they will present their strategic export plan and implementation strategy, together with their certificate of completion, to the STEP Project Director to qualify for their $500 matching grant reimbursement.
Eligible small businesses must meet the following criteria:
- Meet SBA size standards
- Is not barred from federal funds
- Is an Eligible Small Business Concern
- Has been in business for more than one year
- Is operating profitably in the U.S. for the past fiscal year
- Is headquartered in Utah
- Is a for-profit company
- Has little to no export experience
Ineligible small businesses are one of the following:
- Consulting agencies
- Law firms
- Real estate developers
- Retail businesses
- Hospitality or tourism operators
- Distributors representing clients
- Educational institutions or for-profit schools recruiting students
- Is not a personal or self-promoting initiative
- Non-profit organizations
- Companies, organizations or individuals recruiting foreign direct investment
- Multi-level marketing (MLM) or network marketing companies
Funded in part through a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration.