During the 2023 legislative session, the Utah Legislature allocated $50 million to the Governor’s Office of Economic Opportunity to assist local public entities with water infrastructure projects. Funding through this opportunity may come as a grant or a loan. Our office will determine the funding type by application and based on the information provided in each application.
Entities eligible for this assistance include public water districts, special service districts, and municipalities. This funding can be used for any of the following activities:
- Planning and studies
- Water storage projects
- Water infrastructure improvements to promote conservation
- Well development
- Stormwater infrastructure development and improvements
- Groundwater infrastructure system development and improvements
- Water quality monitoring or improvements
- Replacement of aging infrastructure
- Other approved uses that would increase the availability, quantity, and quality of water
Funding limits for grants and loans will be set at a future date. As determined by the office, requests that exceed the funding limits for a grant may be asked to:
- Decrease the amount of funding requested and amend their scope of work;
- Receive funding in a combination of a grant and a loan; or
- Receive funding as a loan
Grants are administered by the Governor’s Office of Economic Opportunity. Loans will be referred to and administered by the Department of Natural Resources.
The application portal opened on Aug. 17, 2023, at 9 a.m. MDT and closed on Aug. 31, 2023, at 5 p.m. MDT.
All applications must be submitted through our online application portal. If you are new to our application portal, you can create a new user account by completing the form here. Once you have submitted your request for access to the GOEO portal, it can take up to one business day to receive access. Please plan accordingly.
For questions regarding this funding opportunity, email email@example.com and include “Water Infrastructure Projects” in the subject line.