JetBlue to Launch First ‘Fly Like a Girl’ Salt Lake City Event in Partnership with Utah STEM Action Center to See Girls’ Interest in STEM & Aviation Careers Take Flight
Who: JetBlue is partnering with the Utah STEM Action Center and Atlantic Aviation to introduce young girls to aviation and STEM careers. The event is sponsored by JetBlue Equals, the airline’s diversity and inclusion platform, the JetBlue Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit focused on STEM education, and Women in Flight, one of the airline’s employee resource groups. The three JetBlue entities share a vision of encouraging girls to pursue aviation, as part of JetBlue’s continuing mission of Inspiring Humanity®.
What: The ‘Fly Like a Girl’ event in Salt Lake City will provide opportunities for girls ages eight to 14 to learn firsthand about careers above the wing, below the wing and behind the scenes at an airline, directly from women working in aviation and STEM. About 80 girls are expected to attend, including JetBlue crewmembers’ daughters, local Girl Scouts, and representatives from the Utah Governor’s Office of Economic Development and Utah STEM Action Center.
Attendees will have the chance to engage with JetBlue crewmembers while visiting education stations including:
- Above the Wing — An interactive experience on an A320 aircraft with crew members from JetBlue’s Flight Operations and in-flight teams
- Below the Wing — Exploration of the exterior and inner workings of an A320 aircraft with crewmembers from the airline’s Technical Operations group
- Behind the Scenes — Offering the opportunity to learn about what it takes to create the JetBlue experience from managing a bustling airport, paying JetBlue’s bills, and how we monitor the operation from the operations center at our Salt Lake support center
Where: Salt Lake International Airport, Atlantic Aviation Hangar, 369 North 2370 West, Salt Lake City, Utah
When: Friday, Sept. 7, 2018, from 2 to 6:30 p.m.
1:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. — Guest Check-In
2 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. — Welcome & Safety Briefing with event host Frankie Littleford, JetBlue V.P. of Customer Service; introducing Joanna Geraghty, JetBlue President and COO, and President of the JetBlue Foundation
2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. — Career Overviews from Paula Minniti, General Manager, LAX | Airports; Joni Geurts, Manager Accounts Payable | Finance; Lori Fox, Manager Customer Experience | CEX Ops
3:45 p.m. to 4 p.m. — Group Activities
4 p.m. to 5:10 p.m. — Plane Reveal and Rotating Interactive Activities for Students
4 p.m. to 5:10 p.m. — Events for parents including:
Remarks by Dr. Tami Goetz, Utah STEM Action Center
Career overview with Elodie Kwan, JetBlue Technology Ventures
Trivia hosted by Kate Hart, Director Customer Experience Ops Center, Salt Lake City, and Catherine Iverson, General Manager, Las Vegas
5:20 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. — Closing remarks from event host Frankie Littleford, JetBlue V.P. of Customer Service
Media Availability: Visuals/Interviews
- Interview opportunities with Joanna Geraghty, JetBlue’s First Woman President (available 1:30 to 2 p.m. and 2:30 to 3 p.m.)
- Interview opportunities with Tamara Goetz, Ph.D., Executive Director of the Utah STEM Action Center (available 4:20 to 5 p.m.)
- Interview opportunities with JetBlue leaders, crewmembers and students
- JetBlue crewmembers and their daughters learning about airline career opportunities
- Career overviews and panels with JetBlue leaders
- Girls learning through hands-on activities with wind turbines, engines and more from women crewmembers in Flight Operations, Tech Ops and Inflight
For more information, please contact: Tamara Young, JetBlue, (718) 709-3537 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Media inquiries: Please contact Go Utah's Media Relations Manager, Tony Young, at email@example.com or 801-538-8722.