Rural Communities Opportunity Grant
Intent to Apply/Pre-application
Opens: Aug. 1, 2023
Closes: Oct. 1, 2023
Potential applicants of the Rural Communities Opportunity Grant who submit a pre-application prior to the official application opening will receive consultations from GOEO outreach managers and grant administrators, which may include:
- Community needs assessment
- Project compatibility and readiness review (may include a site visit)
- Grant requirements instruction
- Grant writing tips
- Scope-of-work draft review
- Budget and matching funds advice
- Post-award reporting and compliance instruction
- Referrals to other resources
Any eligible applicant may apply for the RCOG regardless of having submitted an Intent to Apply/Pre-application. It is not a prerequisite for an official application.
Eligible rural communities are encouraged to apply for the Rural Communities Opportunity Grant (RCOG).
Eligible rural communities include:
- Counties of the third, fourth, fifth, and sixth class
- Cities, towns, and metro townships located within those counties
- Municipalities with a population of 10,000 or less in counties of the second class
- Associations of Governments
The RCOG empowers rural communities to take responsibility for economic development planning, projects, and activities, and to manage their unique opportunities. The grant addresses the economic development needs of rural communities, which include:
- Business recruitment, development, and expansion
- Workforce training and development
- Infrastructure, industrial building development, and capital facilities improvements for business development
The RCOG is competitive and requires a funding match based on the community’s population. Applications are scored based on their quality, proposed budget, economic development projects and activities descriptions, and the purposes, goals, and measurable outcomes related to improving the community’s overall economy. Applicants are required to justify the economic development need for the grant and the amount of funding requested. Matching funds will also be required.
Rural Communities Opportunity Grant Application Dates:
Opens: October 16, 2023
Closes: November 17, 2023
If you’re new to the office grant programs, please complete the New Portal User Request to receive login credentials. This process takes about one business day.
If you already have login credentials, you can access the portal by clicking the Apply Now button once the grant opens.