The U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT) has released a pre-solicitation notice for its FY22 Phase I Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program. Small business concerns are invited to review the pre-solicitation notice on U.S. DOT’s SBIR website or view the pre-solicitation notice on SAM.gov. As this is a pre-solicitation notice, submissions will not be accepted until after the pre-solicitation period ends on February 2, 2022, at 3:00 p.m. MT.
Take advantage of the pre-solicitation period to ask U.S. DOT topic authors technical questions about proposed research topics (listed in the section below). Questions should be directed via an online forum. Questions must be received by 3:00 p.m. MT on February 2, 2022, in order to receive a response.
Proposed FY22 Research Topics
The proposed FY22 research topics are listed below. Full descriptions of each research topic are included in Appendix A, which is included in the pre-solicitation notice.
Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
- 22-FH1: Enforcement of Bridge Load Postings Using Nondestructive Evaluation Techniques
- 22-FH2: Artificial Intelligence Video Analysis of Dilemma Zone Conflicts at Signal-Controlled Intersections
- 22-FH3: Concrete Curing Quantification
Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- 22-FR1: Traction Motor Seizing Device
- 22-FR2: Locomotive-Mounted Track Safety Assurance System (LOSAS)
Federal Transit Administration (FTA)
- 22-FT1: Reduction of Transit Bus Collisions with Other Vehicles
- 22-FT2: Connecting Individuals in “Food Deserts” to Healthy Foods
- 22-FT3: Blockchain-Enabled Transit Incentivization
- 22-FT4: Tools and Applications Towards Moving to Zero-Emissions
Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA)
- 22-PH1: Nondestructive, Streamlined Testing and Monitoring of Metal Cylinders and Tanks to Prevent Packaging Failure
- 22-PH2: Autonomous Vehicle Leak Detectors
- 22-PH3: Vibration Sensing System to Monitor for Potential Excavation Damage
- 22-PH4: Underground Natural Gas Storage (UNGS) Advanced Leak Identification and Well Control Solutions
If your Utah small business intends to apply or you have questions about this funding opportunity, please contact the Utah Innovation Center at email@example.com.