The Utah Governor’s Office of Economic Opportunity manages various programs and initiatives that are robust, diverse, and provide Utah entrepreneurs and businesses with distinct advantages.
Examples include the office’s Business Services and Corporate Retention and Recruitment teams that help Utah businesses grow. The office’s International Trade and Diplomacy team supports the expansion of Utah businesses into foreign markets and manages the hosting of foreign dignitaries for the governor. And our Office of Regulatory Relief works to create a framework for analyzing risk levels to Utah consumers related to health, safety, and financial well-being.
The Office of Economic Opportunity includes the Utah Office of Tourism and the Utah Film Commission. The tourism office promotes Utah as a world-class destination for domestic and international visitors. And the Film Commission supports Utah’s robust film industry and manages Utah motion picture incentives that keep the state on the screen and business and recreation in Utah top of mind.
Other initiatives include the Center for Rural Development, APEX Accelerator, Utah Broadband Center, Utah Immigration Assistance Center, and Utah Innovation Center.
The office’s programs and initiatives are defined by the state Legislature, in consultation with Utah's executive branch, and administered by the office’s capable public servants.
- APEX helps Utah businesses to find, bid, and win procurement opportunities with federal, state, and local government entities.
- The office’s Business Incentives team recommends financial incentives for local and out-of-state companies seeking to expand or relocate to Utah.
- The Business Services team works with federal, state, and local partners to support entrepreneurs and Utah businesses so they can grow and prosper in the global marketplace.
- The Center for Rural Development works with businesses in Utah’s rural counties, providing resources and programs to sustain businesses and improve employment opportunities.
- The International Diplomacy Office facilitates diplomacy for the state and leverages diplomatic contacts to develop and expand foreign markets for Utah.
- The Startup State is a new initiative that fosters and supports Utah's entrepreneurial ecosystem. A new online resource will be available in early 2024 to help support entrepreneurs throughout their business lifecycle.
- Utah works to create sustainable advantages around emerging and mature sectors. The state convenes constituents and organizes strategies to support and build specific industries in its robust, diverse economy.
- The Utah Broadband Center works to support broadband deployment throughout the state, improve efficiencies, and expand statewide access and usage.
- The Utah Film Commission markets the entire state of Utah for film, television, and commercial production. It provides quality work for Utah's contractors and entrepreneurs who support film production with cast and crew, and more.
- The Utah Immigration Assistance Center coordinates with state and federal government partners to facilitate the successful use of foreign labor programs. The center helps connect Utah businesses and individuals with immigration resources.
- The award-winning Utah Innovation Center catalyzes technology innovation and helps secure nondilutive funding for Utah startups.
- The Office of Regulatory Relief allows businesses to experiment with products, production methods, or services by temporarily waiving state law and allowing entrepreneurs to determine if customers value products that don't fit within the state's current regulatory framework.
- The Utah Office of Tourism stimulates traveler spending in Utah and helps destinations around the state manage and responsibly grow their tourism infrastructure and economy.
- As outlined by the Legislature, our office maintains a database for community reinvestment agencies to track financial details for each project area and the taxing entities with which they partner.
- The USBCI program focuses on developing opportunities in underserved communities lacking capital and building financing ecosystems that support entrepreneurs and small businesses.